This is something that never crossed my mind as a dog owner. Especially with my lab who dives in ponds and creeks after ducks and loves getting outdoors.
What started out as summer fun turned disaster as friendly dog play turned deadly. Friends in Wilmington, NC lose three dogs Abby, Izzy, and Harpo as a result of ingesting a blue green algae that grows in still ponds during the warm months.
The owners have set out on a mission in memory of their pets, to warn others about toxic algae in ponds. Along with telling their story to bring awareness, they set up a Gofundme page.
All funds made by the Gofundme account will go towards their efforts to bring awareness and sign areas containing the toxic algae.
Always be careful with dogs that love to swim outdoors. The beach also has its dangers with risk of ingesting salt water.
It’s always best to have fresh water for your pet to drink wherever you go, as any standing puddle of water can have bacteria, parasites, or as we’ve just learned….toxic algae.