One thing you will see every Christmas are the hilarious pictures of cats in Christmas trees.
As funny as this silly behavior is,
be aware that Christmas trees can be very unsafe for cats. Always be cautious…..
Never let them chew the branch needles as they can be ingested and deadly. Bitter Apple can be sprayed on the tree branches and needles so that it’s sour to taste and turns them away. Be sure to keep falling needles from piling up leaving them readily available for bored chewers. Purchasing an affordable 2.5 small shop vacuum will make it much easier to remove them, while keeping your regular vacuum free of clogs or damage.
Both pine and the water its kept in can be toxic, don’t let pets drink the tree water. Use pet friendly tree stands that have an easy to fill reservoir but hard to get to water dish.
Cats and sometimes dogs can be drawn to string and bright objects, so it’s always best to stay away from using tinsel around young pups and cats.
Ingesting tinsel can result in surgery and or death.
Secure ornaments so they aren’t swinging and enticing to pets. Do the same for lights.
Secure the tree with a solid base, preferably in a corner of the room, rather than the center giving your pet more areas to climb. A very full tree will prevent access to climbing. Tie the tree from the top use fishing line attached to a plant hook from the ceiling, this will keep it firmly in place.
Remember…. Prevention is the key to a healthy, happy pet!