Spring is filled with bright new colors. And whether you’re gardening or hiking you’re sure to be pleasantly surprised by some new blooms. As a pet owner you probably already know that pets like to chew. So to prevent any illness, make sure the plants you have around your home and yard are safe. Everybody loves adding color to the garden. In the past I have even wanted to plant some milkweed, just to draw more butterflies. But after a little research, I found that its a very toxic plant. And although it’s very bitter in taste as a deterrent, it is also said to contain cardiac glycoside toxins. A plant that is very harmful when ingested, and in large consumption leads to death.
So I decided not to take a chance, having two rambunctious dogs.
Always be aware of what plants your pet may come in contact with aside from the usual grass. Especially when bringing new plants to your yard.
The picture above created by care2.com shows some very common plants that can be harmful to your pet.
It’s a small guide to some of the very common, but there are many more plants that can be harmful, such as the elephant ear.
To view a larger variety of plants both toxic and nontoxic go to ASPCA Poison Control-Toxic And NonToxic Plants.
If you suspect your pet has ingested something toxic, showing signs of odd behavior or any of the following symptoms…weakness, loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, facial swelling, dilated pupils, trouble breathing, or possible seizures contact your veterinarian immediately.